Blackjack is quite a simple game though it has quite a lot of different variations. The goal of the game is to simply achieve a total which is higher than the dealer’s total without going over 21. The main opponent to beat at the game is the dealer even though there might be other players at the table.
The player has to consider his/her cards and the dealer’s cards and if the player’s total exceeds 21, he/she would go bust and going bust means losing that hand. The player has to consider his/her cards and the dealer’s cards and if the player’s total exceeds 21, he/she would go bust and going bust means losing that hand. So, let's look through the basic blackjack rules.
What are casino blackjack rules?
- A card would be dealt to every player face up and then one would be dealt to the dealer. The dealer’s card would be face down.
- The second card would again be dealt face up to the player.
- The player has to decide whether or not to draw any more cards.
- After the hand has been completed, the dealer would then proceed and draw cards in order to complete his/her hand.
- The player would win if his/her total is higher than that of the dealer.
- If the dealer gets a total of over 21, the player would win.
- If the total of the player is the same as that of the dealer there would be a stand off and neither of them would win.
- If the total of the player is more than 21 or if it is lesser than that of the dealer, the player would lose.
- The rules remain the same in casinos as well as in online blackjack.
The cards in blackjack are given points. For example, the picture cards are worth ten points each, Jack, Queen as well as King. The Ace would be given 11 or 1 point, whichever is better for the one who has the card. All of the other cards have the same point as their numerical value.
If the first two cards of the player are of the same value, the player can split these cards in order to make two or may be even three different hands. Aces can only be split to make two hands. the player would receive an extra card for every hand. However, a bet equal to the original one would have to be made every time a player splits the cards. Every casino would have different rules when it comes to splitting the hands so it is best to check first.
A player can also place an extra bet if the first two cards are equal to nine, ten or eleven without the Aces. An extra card would be dealt to the player. Again, the rules would vary according to the casino.
If the first card which is dealt to the dealer turns out to be an ace, an insurance would be announced. The player can then place an insurance bet not more than half of the original bet in order to insure the hand if the dealer makes blackjack. The bet is paid at the odds of 2 to 1 if a blackjack is made by the dealer.